1. Lionfish (Pterois volitans/miles) eligible for entry may only be taken during the tournament hours. No previously caught or frozen lionfish will be allowed, however, please keep all lionfish on ice.
2. Six consecutive hours without a small craft warning issued by the National Weather Service constitutes a valid tournament. All waters in the Gulf of Mexico are eligible for tournament. Should a cancellation of the tournament occur due to weather, the event will not be rescheduled. The raffle category shall remain active and drawings for this category will be made during the festival event as scheduled regardless of the 2 – day tournament category.
3. Tournament participants must check in at the Captain’s safety meeting at 6:00pm the night before the daily event starts to participate in the tournament. The Captain must be present or coordinate with GCLC tournament committee to conduct remote captains safety meeting. We encourage all registered participants to attend. Captain’s meeting Venue to be determined.
4. Registered participants who have not checked in or who have not signed the legal waiver form and the Lionfish understanding of risk form will not be considered entered in the tournament regardless of whether or not registration fees were paid.
5. Only legal means of capture in areas allowing use of those gear types will be allowed. All existing federal, state, and local laws must be followed.
6. To qualify for prizes, participants must be registered, paid and show proper identification. All participants must sign a legal waiver form and the lionfish understanding of risk form.
7. Non-refundable registration fees are $50 per participant. Each registrant checking in at the captain’s meeting will receive a tournament T-Shirt. You may purchase additional t-shirts during registration. We will have a limited number of shirts for sale at the Captain’s Meeting.
8. Protective gloves should be worn when handling lionfish. Participants are encouraged to carry a thermos bottle on the boat containing hot, but not scalding, water or heat packs for first aid purposes.
9. Tournament hours: Sunrise until sunset Friday 5/18/18 and Saturday 5/19/18. Pre tournament raffle entry will be allowed starting 3/01/18. All fish must be present at scoring station by times and date designated for prizes.
10. Lionfish may only be taken during tournament hours and the fish must be presented to the scoring station. Scoring station opened from 3:00 – 5:00pm Sat 5/19/17 and 8:00 am – 11:00am Sun. 5/20/18. All fish must be present at scoring station by 11:00am Sun 5/20/18 to be counted. Pre-tournament raffle fish can be turned in to designated drop off points.
11. Only one winning entry per person will be allowed in each category.
12. If fewer than three entries are received in any category the remaining awards will be left as unclaimed.
13. All lionfish must be in whole condition (no missing heads or tails). Largest and smallest fish will be determined by total length of the fish in millimeters measuring from tip of snout to tip of tail.
14. Lionfish caught during the derby may be used for sampling and or research during the event days. Fish caught must be preserved on ice for donations. All other Lionfish not donated must be disposed of properly by the individual capturing the Lionfish.
15. All entrants agree to allow tournament officials, Gulf Coast Lionfish Coalition, Coast Watch Alliance, and Florida Wildlife Conservation Comission to take and use photos for media and promotional purposes.
16. In the event of a tie the winning team or individual will be determined by the earliest check in of its lionfish at the scoring station.
17. All cash prizes will be awarded to winning participant by bank check.
18. The Lionfish tournament is an honor system tournament with all registrants being responsible for compliance with the rules.
19. Anyone found violating tournament rules by the tournament officials will be disqualified from receiving any tournament prizes and prohibited from entry in any future tournaments.
20. Decisions of the derby officials are final.